Merrily we roll along, roll a... AHHHHH!!!!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: Its not pretty. I took off the quarter panel/fender and no appart upper frame damage, but the control arm mount is pretty well fried. I mean, you look at it itself and see no obvious bendage, but the stiffening bar has shown a beauty of damage.

Exactly what I've been afraid of with my wagon....too easy to get into a ditch in the winter....hit some frozen ground at the right speed and the glorified tin can metal that this car is made of will get crunched. Frame damage.....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh.. No other comments?
BLAST THE SNOW!! It has put me behind about a day, if not far more. I hope it thaws by the end of school tomarrow.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I thought the later cars had the higher diff ratios....?

Easiest to just change the basic engine parts?

.....keep the old alt/ext reg?

....keep the addons...carb....exterior stuff...other wise changing the alt/reg and PS will cause extra problems?

That way everything fits with your current wiring and ECU.....?

I'd replace the manifold gaskets while you are at it.....or at least snug them up.....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I would discharge the A/C system and just take the compressor out as well as the condenser or whatever that thing is call that is up front. Unless, your A/C is ice cold and you need it for those long desert runs.

Putting a 3A-C from an 86 should be no different than transplanting a 84 3A-C, but I believe there might be some slight emission control differences, not sure.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'm a little confused about which engine is going where...but the idea is the same...move the basic block/cylinder head...keep the peripherals as is in the destination car. Much easier?

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

86 Engine to 84 Body. Uhhh.... Is changing the carb necessary... I am already bogged trying to make this work in time. I'm also trying to load the manual again. The harddrive that fried had it. Ugh.. Alright. I have undone 4 tranny bellhousing bolts. Are there more? What else will prevent its extraction?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you have a know/good carb...I'd try to stay with that vs one that's been sitting in a car unused.

3ACPower (or somebody) might know if there are differences. I know there are some difference between the 3A and the 3AC...the Fed and the Cal setups...but they still might use the same carb...difference emissions stuff?

I'm taking parts off of a '84 3A Fed to use with a 3AC Cal...some of the emissions parts are different for sure.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There should be no need to change the carb. If it ran good, that is. As soon as you take it off you're into changing gaskets and things that make the job more expensive.

There are 4 main (large, 12mm ) bolts between the bellhousing and the engine. There are also one or two smaller bolts that have to come out of the bellhousing. In addition to that you have the stiffener plates that go from the engine block to the front differential. Oh, and don't forget the clutch cable! Not that I'd ever forget it, I'm just afraid other people will!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Lol.. I didn't even see a stiffener plate? Well I got those 4 big bolts. I need to get some of the others from that gasket-like thin piece of metal between the two.
I REALLY REALLY appreciate the help you guys give.. It meas a lot.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

At least you didn't know about the stiffener plate. I knew about it but forgot, so I have no excuse for breaking mine.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

How much extra work is it to replace the rear main? What extra does it entail?
The rear main oil seal I mean.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Don't know...but it's always a good idea to replace the rear main seal and the front trans seal (not so sure about this trans) when you have a clutch out...plus the pilot bearing...or at least lube it.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The engine is floating above the car. I broke a pressure plate finger pulling it (on the dead engine) so now I know what to avoid with removing the other engine. I would take pictures but the camera is acting odd. Still using my moms laptop as well lol.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Alright. Since the 84 has the external regulator, I had to keep the alternator. Since its mounting bracket is MUCH narrower than the 86's, I had to detach the compressor I just spent 10 minutes getting in (lol) and then remove the accesory bracket, go take it off the older engine, and put the usable one on my engine followed by the compressor and alternator. All hoses and cables are attached. The only thing left to figure out now is why I'm not getting fuel to the engine. lol. So far I have come, just to hit such a big obstacle. lol.
I also had to take a few vacuum componants and transfer them to the older body.
Do not detach your engine brackets from the top! Remove the bottom bolt! It sits in a U-shaped support that it tightens into. This also allows it to be easily removed or put back in. If you try to go from the top bolt, the inward angle will cause the bolts threads to be damaged in your muscling it out! Ask someone who knows! (lol) Also, only lift the engine enough to get it out of the mounts before lowering it slightly back down then pulling forward. This will allow the input shaft to be pulled BEYOND the pressure plate! If you just try to keep pulling it up, you WILL break a finger or 2 on the pressure plate! Again, ask someone who knows!.... Times 2! lol...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I bet your 84 gas tank is full of rust and stale gas from sitting there, and the fuel intake tube is clogged. Try blowing through the tube that goes to the fuel filter and see what I mean. If that's not the case, maybe a fuel line is rusted out somewhere.