Restore - good, bad or indifferent?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
RiggerRob
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Wagon 4WD

Restore - good, bad or indifferent?

Post by RiggerRob »

Hey, everybody,

I'm looking at putting a can of Restore in my 'new' 84 4WD on the next oil change. I've heard a good bit of positive feedback from mechanics and auto parts store guys and I just wanted to get the general opinion here about it. People seem to rave about how well it works on old RV's with high miles, and old American big block trucks and cars. Obviously the main thing is that I don't want to harm my motor. For the record, I have 226,000 original miles on this motor, power is about average, there is a little knocking, and there are no obvious smoking, oil leakage, or other fluid leak issues. Comments and constructive criticism are encouraged...

Thanks, Rob
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: Restore - good, bad or indifferent?

Post by garyfish »

forum regular Takza has been on the Restore bandwagon for some time... there's many threads here that make mention of it, & here's a few of 'em:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4498
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4802&p=37165&hilit= ... ore#p37165
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4725&p=34918&hilit= ... ore#p34918

I sometimes pick up a can or two when I see it on sale... can't really say with any assurance that it's the best product out there, but if you're gonna use an oil additive I'd say it's one of the better ones
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
RiggerRob
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Wagon 4WD

Post by RiggerRob »

Thanks, Gary, I pulled my head out and used the forum search and read through a couple of these threads.

I'm going to try it out when I change the oil tomorrow. I've got a 70 mile commute on Sunday so we'll see how it goes.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I tried it and saw a couple of full tanks at 37-38 mpg....but then mpg went back to usual. When I changed oil recently...I found some greyish-black sludge chunks that came out with the oil...probably the restore...so don't see how it doesn't get stuck in the filter. Maybe that's how it works...most stays in the filter and is distributed from there? Also put some in my truck...with no mpg gain seen that I know of....it does maybe 3K/qt oil.

I wouldn't be afraid to use it...but I'm thinking it's more for oil burners...and my wagon does OK at 5K/qt...if I don't rev it too much.

Might have seen a little more oil use.

What I "think" it is is basically "babbit" or bearing material along with some teflon and a bit of mild abrasive. Think I found the patent for it.

I just changed it to full Mobil 1 synth 0W30 with 1 oz Tufoil/qt....doing fine so far.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

After 3 oil changes in 12 months, adding a can of Restore each time, I've been happy with the results. Gas mileage is up a bit, the engine seems to run more smoothly, and the oil consumption has dropped somewhat--all this on a non-rebuild engine with over 323K; I can't say for sure the Restore is a perfect solution, but it has helped.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
tercelwill
My tercel:: 85 Tercel SR5 4wd

Post by tercelwill »

restore is lead, mercury and other metals. I've seen an oil lab report where restore had been used. the lead content was off the charts.

high quality clean oil is good for me. i'd only use restore on a junker thats on it's last legs anyway