Rebirth after 300K

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Rebirth after 300K

Post by SynthDesign »

No carpet yet. Good Point DeeJay.
What did you find?
I haven't gotten that far yet and haven't had the best luck finding anything remotely salvageable in a junkyard yet.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

check out Rock Auto under "Body Interior" and you'll see new carpet there. Strangely it says that the carpet is for 2 door models despite being listed under the SR5 trim. I saw another website selling the full package for what seemed to be the Tercel wagon so I'm going to keep looking.

Anyone else have experience finding new carpet for their Tercel?
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm pretty sure freight would be to prohibitive to the USA though but this Australian company still makes the moulded carpet.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOULDED-CARPET-F ... 1c03d0897c
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Mattel wrote:I'm pretty sure freight would be to prohibitive to the USA though but this Australian company still makes the moulded carpet.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MOULDED-CARPET-F ... 1c03d0897c
That's pretty cool, but Right hand drive carpet may not work for us in the States.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Well after a few more medical issues, and a few months of being overworked, I am a day or two away from starting the General.
I finished up the 2 inch exhaust system and bolted everything up. Muffler included.
I'll post pics when I have time this weekend and maybe a video of it starting.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

It fired up on the first try!
Video to come!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

congrats Synth!

that's a major milestone to getting back on the road!

and take it easy if you can... you don't wanna continue to overwork yourself and exacerbate any health issues, bro
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Pics of the engine bay
engine bay 1.JPG
fuel system.JPG
engine side.JPG
Exhaust is a custom 2 inch bit I made with a Magnaflow SS muffler. It sounds good,pretty deep and throaty'
exhaust.JPG
under 2 in ex.JPG
I'm just fitting up the bracket for the Sparco seats.
seat 1.JPG
The back end looks pretty good
tail pipe.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

wow that exhaust is awsome if i was close i would ask you to make me some pipes like that but im just to far away well when yo get it running please post a video of it running so i can here the sexy beast.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Loading up a video on youtube right now.

Correction, I will try uploading a video when youtube's server isn't busy.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

WOW!

that's a clean, show-worthy machine!

beautiful work

**drool**
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Looks great, Synth. This one should go in a museum or something!

At some point in time, I'd really like it if you could create a new thread to expand on your Webber installation. Despite the fairly large list of Webber installation guides, none of them really to in to detail about the electronic choke actuation (and how to connect wires to ensure proper operation). I also noticed that you have another wire going into your Webber that I've never seen before as well as a fuel pressure gage setup that looks interesting/complex.

Anyway - some additional details about the carb install, jetting, wiring, etc would be most useful since you clearly have a good understanding of how to perform a quality install.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Nice, clean, sanitary installation - Congrats!

The choke hookup has been covered before; just connect the OE choke wire to the Weber choke.
I'd venture the extra, brownish, wire is to the Idle Cut-Off Solenoid, which most, if not all, 32/36 DGEVs do not come equipped with. I'd be interested in knowing the value of this.

The fuel feed setup is identical to that espoused by splatterdog, save for the insertion of the electric fuel pump. I followed s-dog's setup as well.
Tom M.
EDIT - :oops: - Well, I certainly stand corrected on the first item being an additional regulator and not a fuel pump. I thought it looked like a regulator but figgered I had to be wrong, so it had to have been a pump. My bad...
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

deejay1272 wrote: At some point in time, I'd really like it if you could create a new thread to expand on your Webber installation. Despite the fairly large list of Webber installation guides, none of them really to in to detail about the electronic choke actuation (and how to connect wires to ensure proper operation). I also noticed that you have another wire going into your Webber that I've never seen before as well as a fuel pressure gage setup that looks interesting/complex.

Anyway - some additional details about the carb install, jetting, wiring, etc would be most useful since you clearly have a good understanding of how to perform a quality install.
I can do a little write maybe later sometime soon.

The second wire is the fuel cut solenoid., it's hooked up to ignition power and prevents flooding and back firing when the motor is stalled or cut.
fueljet.jpg
They work on almost all Weber carbs.
http://allstatecarbs.com/detail.php?pid ... stt=0&gb=2

The fuel system isn't that complex. I installed an electric on demand fuel pump in back that does the stock 7.5psi. The first fuel pressure regulator returns excess fuel through the recirculating system and the allows me to tune the pressure down closer to the Weber carb. range. (Between 1.5 to 3.5 PSI) For the Weber I needed to be able to fine tune the pressure so the 2nd regulator comes into play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)