Lube For Shift Lever Parts - and NLA Cover Gasket

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Lube For Shift Lever Parts - and NLA Cover Gasket

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I will be installing the three new shift lever parts this week, and wonder about the lube for the lever's bushing and seat; I could find nothing in the FSM. It seems that those who have replaced them used ordinary chassis lube (Moly-Lithium types). I figure the parts will need some kind of lube, but did not know if the regular lubes will attack the "plastic" of the bushing and seat - I want them to last another 23 years...
The closest info I could find on shift lever bushing lube was in my Dodge/Mitsu truck's FSM, when it referred to a "Multi-Mileage Lubricant" which is used for all types of purposes, including wheel bearings and ball joints and door hinges.
Or - am I asking about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: Lube For Shift Lever Parts

Post by Neu »

i would say go ahead and use moly Lithium, or any moly grease.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Synthetic grease seems to have the greatest moisture resistance. I haven't had to replace a boat trailer bearing since switching to mobil 1.

I used that and filled the shift housing with syn gear oil.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Normally plastic bushings do not require any lubricant. But if you do use one, I'd recommend silicone or synthetic. Moly Lith might attack the plastic.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Lube For Shift Lever Parts - and NLA Cover Gasket

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ahhh - silicone grease rang a bell - then I remembered that I have a tiny tin of plumber's grease, which is silicone and intended for metal, rubber, and plastic parts! As it turns out, the seat is "rubber," and the bushing is "plastic." Plumber's grease is available at any hardware store and is inexpensive.

NOTE - to anyone contemplating replacement of these parts - unless your friendly Toy dealer has one in stock (oh, sure!) - the 33584-16010 gasket for the "lid" of the extension housing is no longer available from any of the (USA, anyway) Toy warehouses - so you will have to make your own if it self-destructs...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Way back when 3ACPower didn't want to use moly grease on this part...but I've had mine covered with it for 50K miles with no issues...I use a lot of it to help keep water/grit out. You'd think that near a trans they'd use a rubber that was impervious to oil?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I would use white lithium grease. This is supposed to be a "dry" lube that dose not attract sand and grit. Any petroleum based grease runs the risk of attracting grit and dust, that will shorten the life of the parts as they grind away at each shift.

You can also use dry graphite lube, it will not affect the plastic or rubber, very slippery and not "wet" to attract dust.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If you are attracting sand/grit/dust on shift bushings I would spend the $12 for a new rubber boot. White lith will attract dust too. If rubber compatability worries you, use a silicone grease. The wife hasn't had any problem with lots and lots of miles on her lubed stick. :shock:

Corrosion protection is why I overlubed. Most of my shiftbox debris was created inside the box(rust).

RTV will work fine for sealing the cover. If you want to use the best, use "the right stuff".
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I'm going with the plumber's grease on the bushing and seat and some trans oil in the bottom of the case.
Current prices from Butler: Boot - $7.91; Seat $10.40; bushing $3.69.
It might be practical to give the boot an annual spray with silicone for protection.
Thanks to all for opinions!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I use a custom made grease impregnated flannel boot...only the best. :lol:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

takza wrote:I use a custom made grease impregnated flannel boot...only the best. :lol:
North Face, Orvis, or L.L. Bean?
Not - gasp - WallyWorld?.....Noo - not for a mighty T4WD!..... :shock: .....Say it ain't so!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

It was cheap used flannel...... :oops: :cry: ....but sewn by the finest tailors on Cannery Row.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

takza wrote:It was cheap used flannel...... :oops: :cry: ....but sewn by the finest tailors on Cannery Row.
Sounds fishy to me...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Ron B.
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by Ron B. »

ARCHINSTL wrote:I'm going with the plumber's grease on the bushing and seat and some trans oil in the bottom of the case.
Current prices from Butler: Boot - $7.91; Seat $10.40; bushing $3.69.
It might be practical to give the boot an annual spray with silicone for protection.
Thanks to all for opinions!
Tom M.
I was told by the parts manager at Glens Falls Toyota that none of those parts are available in any of the warehouses. Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers!

Ron B. in Lake George, NY
'84 SR5 Wagon with 257k miles and up on jackstands
Cheers!

Ron B. in Lake George, NY
'84 SR5 Wagon with 257k miles under partial restoration
'88 Fiero GT with 22k miles and driven daily
'65 Ford Econoline 5-window pickup under full restoration
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Give Butler Toy in Indy a call at 800-692-6396. Its site, http://www.toyotaoemparts.com, is still down for maintenance.
The guys there have found parts not listed in other Toy dealers sites - or at several STL dealers' parts departments.
I got these parts back in the early Spring.
33555-16030 is $7.91---boot
33548-16010 is $3.69---bushing
33505-16010 is $10.40---seat
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain