Anyone ever do a 7AC ? Crank,flywheel,pan?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Anyone ever do a 7AC ? Crank,flywheel,pan?

Post by kamiphloj »

Hi,
Just searched and reviewed Skiwagon's great info on a 7AC build.Unfortunately,the thread was interrupted.
Has anyone followed up and done this?
I am curious about the possibilty the 3AC flywheel will do? or will the 7AFE flywheel have to be turned down to fit a 3AC ring gear?
The other issue I wonder about,I had to swap over the Terc pan and oil pickup when I did my 4AC swap.Because the 7A is a tall deck stroker 4A(I think?) might there be any issues with pan interference with the crank throws?

Those are two challenges that were not addressed before in the thread.
Thanks,Bob
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Anyone ever do a 7AC ? Crank,flywheel,pan?

Post by shogun »

i think it can be done, just have to re drill the flywheel
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Anyone ever do a 7AC ? Crank,flywheel,pan?

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

kamiphloj wrote:Hi,
Just searched and reviewed Skiwagon's great info on a 7AC build.Unfortunately,the thread was interrupted.
Has anyone followed up and done this?
I am curious about the possibilty the 3AC flywheel will do? or will the 7AFE flywheel have to be turned down to fit a 3AC ring gear?
The other issue I wonder about,I had to swap over the Terc pan and oil pickup when I did my 4AC swap.Because the 7A is a tall deck stroker 4A(I think?) might there be any issues with pan interference with the crank throws?

Those are two challenges that were not addressed before in the thread.
Thanks,Bob
I think you can actually use a 3AC flywheel. I believe the 7AFE crank is 6-bolt. I know the guys who make 7AGE's are always concerned about having only a 6-bolt crank, and wish they had 8-bolt. But this is just hear-say. I don't know about possible pan differences, but again, I think the guys who make 7AGEs use a 4AGE pan. So this would lead me to believe it might be possible to use a 3AC pan. Won't know for sure until you try! I'd really love to see this done though, as I've always wondered about it myself. Goodluck!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS