Cruise Control Removal/Installation

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Cruise Control Removal/Installation

Post by So_Powerful »

I have a 85 parts car that has the elusive stock cruise control in it. Does anyone know what all needs to be removed and how you do it.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: Cruise Control Removal/Installation

Post by 4wdchico »

Saw one of those in a JY car. Strange vac/electrical system. I wanted no part of pulling it and then installing it later on my car. It seems that it would be much easier to have the donor and recipient car right next to each other and swap one component over at a time.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Mon May 17, 2010 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tercelwill
My tercel:: 85 Tercel SR5 4wd

Post by tercelwill »

I took mine out when i bought it it had the module under the dash and all the wiring but none of the mechanics under the hood but you can pretty much rip it out just make sure you don't leave any loose ends
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I would check the wire diagram for the cruise control system to see what all the components are in the systep. there has to be some sort of speed sensor, as well as the device that controls the throttle, and there is one sensor on the brakes lights (so it disengages when the brakes are applied). Good luck with the conversion, I would like to find such a system for mine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
RiggerRob
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Wagon 4WD

Post by RiggerRob »

Does anyone have any data (wiring diagrams, factory info, etc.) on the factory equipped cruise control? I'd love to get it working on my '84 - I do a lot of 200 plus mile commutes. I haven't seen anything in the FSM or on the forums that explains how this works or how to service it...
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Along with the ECU, the %@%&* FSM ignores cruise control. It's not even shown in the wiring maze at the back. Its operation is covered in the OM - but that's not much help, I'd imagine.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

somewhere the factory has wire diagrams and repair info, perhaps in a supplement. too bad we do not have a contact at Toyota who could dig in their archives for us. Might have been purged after all these years, but somewhere someone knows were a copy might be located....we just have to find them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I highly doubt any were "factory". I would say ALL are dealer add ons. Possibly sourced from a primary vendor as they all look alike. My 84 T4 and 85 Landcruiser, both from different parts of the country had identical units that looked like they were there from the start. Not anywhere near the fit and finish of anything else on the car though.

If you can't get your old universal to work, and want cruise, new ones are still available. Just google "universal cruise control". Might even find some tech info that applies to the dealer installed units found in old Toyota's.
So_Powerful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by So_Powerful »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I guess I will just have to do some reverse engineering. I've contacted a dealership in Edmonton but they have nothing on it either.