An all encompassing tercel questions thread...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

An all encompassing tercel questions thread...

Post by emmahumpfritter »

Hello everyone,

Well, I'm more/less new to this forum. I recently brought home my third 4wd tercel wagon. The first two I promptly sold to people who were looking for them specifically (I currently live in the rust belt where 80's Toyotas are practially non-existent) A couple weeks ago I was driving back from the west coast and spotted this tercel from the highway near Bozemen, MT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40581861@N03/3760939048/

I turned around and knocked on the door. Within minutes I was the owner of another 4wd wagon. It's an SR5 model, 5-spd, approx. 227K, clutch is worn badly but still drivable. I rode my motorcycle back out this last week with a coil, it took 15 minutes to have her running again, loaded my bike in the back and drove home to Minnesota. Here's where my questions start.

Everytercel wagon I've ever driven (including this one) has an idling problem. The super nice (looking) 85 I sold to a local fella here did what I call in the metro world "hunting for idle" so bad, it often went from 2k rpm's to nothing (as in die on the spot at random) right before your eyes. I replaced the carb, I checked and rechecked every vacuum line I could find. I set and reset the timing again and again, never to figure out the problem with that one. The one I have now (and plan to keep and make my baby hauler, due Aug. 4th) does the same thing to a lesser, almost tolerable degree. I haven't set the timing yet (since I did remove the disty to replace the coil, I most certainly messed it up) it idles at around 1300rpms with fluxuations between 1000 and 1500rpms. It also "diesels" badly when you turn off the motor (sometimes to the point of resorting to sticking it in gear and letting out the clutch to stop it.) I did get 30MPG on the way home (cruising at 75-80MPH) and for 200 miles managed to drive 60MPH and got around 35MPG (impressive) and makes me think the motor isn't to unhealthy to pull such numbers. The fact that all three tercel's I've had pass through my life so far have had this issue leads me to believe it's a common issue once the mileage gets up there?

Other issues. The shifter is VERY lose feeling. I can literally have it in N. and move the shifter around in circum. of a regulation football without putting it in gear. It's not a big deal, and seems to shift in and out of every gear fine (except the clutch is grabby) I'm use to doing clutches on 80's Toyota's since I've been maintaining an 87 4wd Toyota van for 10 years now. Not exactly looking forward to the job, but will get around to it. But first, I want to make sure this particular tercel is worth fixing up.

There's also a "clunking" sound from the front end when making a sharp corner (like in a parking lot) which I'm guessing is CV's? or ball joints? or both? Again, I'm capable of doing these sorts of jobs, but don't want to do them unless the car still has sufficent life left in it. I plan to do a compression test tomorrow (which I'll post on this thread)

The body has very little rust (even by non-Mn. standards) which is a plus. I wouldn't put money into a local rust bucket to save my life (that's why I go west to buy my vehicles) I guess the biggest issue to me is the carb/idle issue which I've never been able to solve on the other tercels. I do have some hand on experience with metros (which I understand make good throt. body donors?) is this truly one of the ult. fixes, or can the stock carbs be made to behave nicely with some patience?

I guess I should add, I paid $500 for the car, and it came with a new set of studded snow tires (13's) I tested the 4wd on some dirt and it seems to engage and disengage as it should. I like the car over-all, I've always thought the wagons were the best "do everything okay" car. If one can have only one car, something like the 4wd wagon is a good choice.

Any advice and thoughts much appreciated. Thanks!
Brenton
260K with no end in sight....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: An all encompassing tercel questions thread...

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Brenton -
Welcome to the Club!

As to the shifter question - it is most likely due to wear on the bushing at the end of the shifter lever (hopefully a worn-out lever has not harmed the selector rod itself...). There are a number of threads on the replacement of the bushing, seat, and boot - all OE Toy items only. I will be doing this myself shortly (although my lever does not describe an arc such as yours). Do a Search here using my handle.

Concerning the idle-hunting (sounds like a quest for Eric...) - it may not be of much consolation, but I solved this and a plethora of other carb problems by installing a Weber. Is the TVSV intact and working?

The clunking is probably due to the CV axles - don't do remans, though. There are also a lot of threads on this subject as well. Dunno about ball joint noise - I replaced all bushings and the ball joints in '07 when I did strut inserts and springs; it seemed prudent to get it all out of the way at one time and before I slipped further into senescence. I used Toy OE parts here - again, do a Search for the numbers - they are in a thread I started. One vital part is where the sway bar inserts into the lower arm - apart from the transmission, about the only Achilles Heel of our little cars - again, lots of threads on this.
Tom M.
P.S. Incidentally, one of our most tech-savvy members is also in MN - splatterdog.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

I knew I would love this forum....:)

First and most important question: Where do I get myself a weber carb?

Brenton
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I got mine in October of '08 for $299 from Carbs Unlimited, including the shorter air cleaner. Several other places did not want to swap out the stock cleaner with the shorter one ($30 XTRA, as I recall!), so that is why I went with that vendor. It is K740 as I recall.
I got the regulator and gauge from Advance Auto (part #s in the following thread), although there are other sources - again, do a search using alehander's name - he (and moi) have some good pix. I went with splatterdog's regulator mounting, however.
All tech questions are handled by Redline, regardless of the vendor; they have some way to go as far as customer relations, as far as I am concerned...
Read ALL of the various threads on Weber - and there are a lot. It will save you questions later on.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

I'm googling carbs unlimited now. Thanks.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

Unless I'm missing something on teh carbs unlimited sight, there isn't a "this carb is for the tercel wagon 4wd (or 2wd)" option. I know it's annoying when newbee's need their hands held, but would someone post a direct link to the weber that fits our beloved wagons. The $299.00 jobber is JUST in my price range. Thanks, Brenton
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I believe this is the link you're looking for:

http://www.carburetion.com/weber/Datare ... del=TERCEL

This kit will fit the FWD and 4WD models as the 3AC was the same for both (generally speaking, there are some other differences, but it's not necessary to go into detail).
Last edited by tercel4wdrules on Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

Thanks for that! Just what I was looking for.

Q: Do I need to ask specifically for the shorter air cleaner?

I've also PM'ed Slatterdog here in MN. to see if he's interested in letting me take a look at his rig.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

YES! On the shorter air cleaner. It is part # 99217.331. It is 1 7/8" high, which is still a tad high if you use the OE phenolic heater/spacer; there are comments on this in various threads. If you do not use it, though, you will have to sub shorter studs in the manifold.
I don't think the vendor will give you a hassle - but just mention that others have gotten the sub at no extra charge. It's nice to know the price has not changed.
Be sure to read my comments on making the adapter fit the manifold and the carb...it is not a slam dunk.
Anecdotal comments on the two-piece adapter for the trucks is even more colorful.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain