trans leak from cv axle

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
simon84
Top Notch Member

trans leak from cv axle

Post by simon84 »

I seem to have trans oil leaking from where one of the cv axles enters the transmission on my 87 sr5. I have to replace the cv axle as the boot is cracked (Can you just replace the boot?).
What I'm really wondering is if there is a seal that I can replace when I'm in there. I have replaced cv joint axles before and seem to remember just popping them out and shoving in the new ones. I do not recall seeing any seal there.
Is this fairly straightforward or is it more involved? I'm wondering if I need to take it in to a transmission shop. That will likely cost quite a bit!
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: trans leak from cv axle

Post by garyfish »

I dealt with this same issue recently. Big split in an outer CV boot, and a leaky seal where the half-axle enters the transaxle.

The seal is an easy fix, assuming you've already removed the half-axle. Just pull or pry out the old seal (careful not to score or scratch the aluminum housing in the process), clean out the area thoroughly with rags, and tap the new seal straight in. Rock Auto has the transaxle seals for $3.34 each plus shipping (BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0523521; http://rockauto.com/), and I'm sure your local auto parts store also has 'em (e.g., available at Kragen for $6.99 each). Be sure to apply moly lube or other assembly-type grease to the seal before re-inserting the half-axle.

As for the torn CV boot, there are several possibilities for you here:

1) Repair the existing boot, as suggested in an earlier post by Petros:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4354&hilit=boot&start=15#p32632

2) Install a new rubber boot, either the "split" variety (e.g., "Quick-Boot" or "Speedi-Boot") or the OEM non-split type (see FSM for procedures on the latter). I also found a relevant thread here on the forum to check out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3472

3) Purchase a new half-axle. This is what I opted to do, both for convenience and cost.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

As for the seal....be sure to get it in straight...not cocked to one side. I think flush to the housing surface. Use grease on the inner lip and maybe grease or non hardening gasket goop on the outer area.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I echo takza's comment - and be CERTAIN to seat it far enough in - there is a measurement in the FSM. I did not get one in quite far enough in 2007 and the fluid leaked - scary. I then made an "insert tool" from a piece of modified pipe (the earlier one from PVC was not quite adequate).
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... xle#p29119
and
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... eal#p30417
> Read this last one - some seals are not correct.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
elijah

Post by elijah »

garyfish wrote:I dealt with this same issue recently. Big split in an outer CV boot, and a leaky seal where the half-axle enters the transaxle.

The seal is an easy fix, assuming you've already removed the half-axle. Just pull or pry out the old seal (careful not to score or scratch the aluminum housing in the process), clean out the area thoroughly with rags, and tap the new seal straight in. Rock Auto has the transaxle seals for $3.34 each plus shipping (BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0523521; http://rockauto.com/), and I'm sure your local auto parts store also has 'em (e.g., available at Kragen for $6.99 each). Be sure to apply moly lube or other assembly-type grease to the seal before re-inserting the half-axle.

As for the torn CV boot, there are several possibilities for you here:

1) Repair the existing boot, as suggested in an earlier post by Petros:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4354&hilit=boot&start=15#p32632

2) Install a new rubber boot, either the "split" variety (e.g., "Quick-Boot" or "Speedi-Boot") or the OEM non-split type (see FSM for procedures on the latter). I also found a relevant thread here on the forum to check out: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3472

3) Purchase a new half-axle. This is what I opted to do, both for convenience and cost.
bump!

This thread is really interesting and might be very helpful to newbies like me and my cousin. As you can see, my cousin is experiencing the same situation where he also had noticed some leak from the cv axle assembly and the boot had been busted with a crack too which probably need a replacement. About the seal too, me and my cousin where confused how to deal with it but lucky to find your post with info about it. Anyway, thanks for sharing these instructions. I'm gonna share this post to my cousin so we could already try to fix the problem this weekend. :)