Lube For Shift Lever Parts - and NLA Cover Gasket

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Lube For Shift Lever Parts - and NLA Cover Gasket

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ron B. wrote:I was told by the parts manager at Glens Falls Toyota that none of those parts are available in any of the warehouses. Do you have any suggestions?
Ron - did you ever find the lever parts? I referred member emmahumpfritter to the aforementioned Butler Toy in early August and it found the three items for him immediately - so they are still available.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Ron B.
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by Ron B. »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Ron - did you ever find the lever parts? I referred member emmahumpfritter to the aforementioned Butler Toy in early August and it found the three items for him immediately - so they are still available.
Tom M.
Oops! I forgot to thank you and to post the results of my phone call to Butler. They were able to locate the parts in California. Because of the location where the parts came from there was no discount. But that's OK because I was more than happy to get the parts. Thanks again for the lead.
Cheers!

Ron B. in Lake George, NY
'84 SR5 Wagon with 257k miles under partial restoration
'88 Fiero GT with 22k miles and driven daily
'65 Ford Econoline 5-window pickup under full restoration
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

To get more info...
My shifter feels quite loose or floppy and has a propensity to pop out of second gear when coasting. Would some of this be ameliorated by replacing the bushing & seat or could this be more of a transmission issue?
Cheers,
Jon B.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The sloppyness will be much reduced with new plastic bushings. When the shift forks wear it can make it pop out of gear, or a worn detent spring. Drain the lube oil, fill it with a mixture of 50/50 ATF and cheap gear oil, run it for a few days including getting good and hot on a high speed drive (freeway speeds), than drain it hot. that should flush out any old gunk and metal shavings. than replace it with a mixture of 50/50 synthetic MTL and quality gear oil and see if it helps the popping out. With the synthetic lube it will at least not wear much more. Otherwise it is approaching tranny overhaul time.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

Just talked to Butler Toyota... they told me they had just shipped the same stuff out - who else just ordered this stuff from them? Anyways, if you order from them through their website apparantly you get 25% off.
Also - is it necessary to replace the gasket, or since it is not available is there anything else that will work?
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

XLNT on Butler - these guys have NEVER failed me - they put the many STL (and other) Toy dealers to shame!
The late Ron B. and emmahumpfritter got sets back in August - dunno about others. Maybe there are other Gen II owners lurking here?
I have yet to install the parts I got last Spring - too many house projects...
I plan to remove the cover as carefully as possible and then use red Permatex sealant when buttoning up. I guess I could always use the cover as a pattern on sheet gasket material, but since it is there strictly as a "joining" material rather than a "sealing" material, I guess just a "decent" joint is OK...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
skyerunner
Advanced Member

Post by skyerunner »

Okay,
Got the parts in & pulled everything fine. A bit rusty and not well lubed in there. In pulling stuff apart it did not seem like the bushing was too worn. The boot was pretty destroyed, but the fact that everything else seemed pretty intact was concerning because I was hoping that it would be really worn down so I could blame my floppy shifter on it. Instead it looks like the grooves where the shifter sits down on the metal pins is really worn. I'm heading to some JY's tomorrow and am crossing my fingers that I'll come across a Tercel to pull parts from.
In comparing this to pictures from Ron B. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rblachut/3 ... 186816318/) I can understand where the play was coming from
sticksml.jpg
sticksml2.jpg
Shiftsml.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I finally got around to installing these parts (from last Spring... :oops:)...
Anyway, the seat had disintegrated; this is what permitted the lever's ball to move around, causing the lever's looseness - all that was left was the integrated "washer" at the seat's base. And - the only things in the compartment were the fragmented remains of the seat. NO rust or water or goop of any kind! Nashville was very kind to Goldie!
The slots in the ball were unworn - not like skyerunner's.
The bushing at the end of the lever appeared unworn, but I replaced it anyway. The boot was quite cracked but intact (I had zip-tied it together last year).
I used the plumbers' silicone grease on the various plastic parts, silicone spray on the boot and dollops of chassis lube on the shifting shaft and the "cover" under the lock ring. The gasket came off kinda intact - I coated it and the mating surfaces with Permatex red sealant.
Incidentally, the two front bolts on the cover were a lot easier to access than I thought; I used a regular combo wrench, although I did have to whack the wrench with a hammer to break loose the bolts. The cover itself was fairly stuck and took some gentle prying with a BA screwdriver.
Boy, did it make a difference in the shift lever! It was pretty loosey-goosey before and now is really solid! Well worth the effort and $.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
skyerunner
Advanced Member

Post by skyerunner »

I ended up replacing that shift lever with a JY one in great condition. What a difference!
tercelwill
My tercel:: 85 Tercel SR5 4wd

Post by tercelwill »

someone posted a link to Marlincrawler. com. they supply after market Toyo truck stuff. they look like the parts except the seat is much shallower. they cost around the same as oem. Has anyone checked this out?
sh#tbox
My tercel:: 85 sr5 wagon rebuilt eng.

Post by sh#tbox »

molybellum lube is really slick stuff I quite like it. dbout it hurts plastic, wont stay there anyway. they sell it in little packets at the counter at autozone and oreilleys. it's the same thing that comes with certain race car parts. Good stuff I recomend you use it. just look at the ingredients, for molybellum, perhaps they sell it for lubing brake caliper slides. (would make it rubber friendly) it is however NOT the same as the big jug of grease. molybellum is special, is expensive, you only need a little.

Why you would need it in a tranny I dunno, as a prelube, in a rebuild job, for that first go-round before the oil gets on everything. I am also a big fan of "Lubriplate" comes in a big tube, I build engines with this stuff. Also very good stuff. It is white in color, it's kinda thin, again it won't stay there when you get this thing running. Again little dab will do ya! (don't need to use half the tube)