Problem With CV Axle and/or Oil Seal

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Problem With CV Axle and/or Oil Seal

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Has anyone else encountered this? It happens to be with a GSP axle I installed last November, but could be with any brand.
Last night I noticed a good-sized puddle of oil under the right-side CV axle at the case. It apparently has not leaked before - at least not while stationary. I figured the seal was toast for ? reason (it hadn't leaked on installation or inspection some time later - these were new B&A seals). Since I was away at a daughter's home animal-sitting, I couldn't pull the axle, so went to an O'Reilly's and ordered two more of the Beck-Arnley seals, B-A part # 052-3521- $3.50/each + 5.00 postage.
I also got a quart of fluid and one of those cheapie "Windex-type" pump heads w/hose (which worked surprisingly well). I figured that since if it had stopped leaking at the front, if I filled from the back it would continue to leak the "full amount." So I put in about 3/4 of the quart, at which point the differential front left filler hole overflowed and oil started to drip out the axle hole. Dunno if that was all there was in the trans in total - can't wait to drain and measure the contents...
I made it the few miles home with no funny noises/sounds/etc., all the while knowing the transmission/differential would seize - Bless You, Goldie! :wink:

Upon examination, it appears that about 1/4" of the axle is protruding from the seal - it's still shiny and not grimy, so it looks like a quite recent occurrence. The flange of the inner joint is about 1/2" proud of the case, whereas the left (non-leaking) joint is about 1/8" from the case.
It almost looks like the inner snap ring ain't holding and allowed the axle to slide outwards a bit and therefore permit the oil leakage as it is not engaging the seal. Does this seem possible? *
The suspension fasteners are all tight and there are no funny noises/clunks/weird steering issues.

I won't be able to pull it until Sunday or so, because I loaned the axle stands to someone - and it might well be late next week. I intend to forward the pix to the GSP tech guy and call him Monday.

Have I stated this clearly enough? I wonder if the axle will just slide out with no prying when the knuckle is removed?
Anyone else have a similar experience with axles and GSP in particular?

* This particular RH axle, as I noted in a post last year, had a snap ring that was pretty well contained within the groove of the axle end, unlike the LH side, which really protruded above the groove. The GSP rep told me not to worry about it and, indeed, upon installation I could not pull the axle outwards, so the snap ring did engage properly (apparently) .
Thanks -
Tom M.
************************************************************************************************
EDIT - Sunday nite:
I removed the axle . It pulled out with just a really good tug and no pry bar...so - it would appear that the axle was not being held in by the snap ring - only by the axle nut and the integrity of the suspension...interesting...
The full amount of the almost-quart of added fluid had leaked overnight as well.
Only a tiny portion of the snap ring was barely above the surface of the groove.
I will be contacting GSP Monday and will advise.
************************************************************************************************
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Problem With CV Axle and/or Oil Seal

Post by takza »

With another rear diff car with CV axles...the typical remedy for this was just to pop the axle back in.

Sounds like a weak "spring ring" Though it wouldn't be too comforting to know it can pop out at any point and start losing oil.

You can spring those things out some to increase the tension or find another one?

I had a seal start to leak...but when I got to looking at it...I had cocked it to one side...wasn't in square.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Hey Tom,
I've got the wife's axles on the floor right now, if you need me to, I can measure the O.D. of the factory axles that I just pulled for you. I could also send you the old spring rings if you need them, rather than having Goldie down ad infinitum while you deal with GSP.
I just got back from vacation, ordered a new pair of axles drop shipped for YoTrois while I was in NY. One arrived on Friday, hopefully the other will be at the house when I get back tonight. Only took me 4 1/2 hours to completely disassemble the front end and partially reassemble it (ALL of the seals were wrong). I'm getting the correct ones tonight and will reassemble completely- new axles, struts, pads, ball joints, bushings.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hey, highlander -
Thanks for the offer - the GSP rep will be contacting me tomorrow, Tuesday. He did write that he remembered my flinger problem from last November!
In looking at the axle, nothing really appears amiss with it - I guess the ring just did not hold because of its compression, despite apparently holding for ? time. Maybe all it will take will be a new ring?
Funny - I checked with AZ, ADV, O'R, and NAPA locally, and none can supply axle snap rings, whether as a stock item or ordered item - for any brand of car/axle...

Incidentally, I do have my old p'up to use while Goldie's down - though I may take you up on the snap ring offer - will advise tomorrow. You won't be sorry about renewing everything - how was the sway bar where it inserted into the control arm?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Tom- The sway bar bush isn't in bad shape- not like the eldest that got wrecked- it's starting to pull out towards the front a bit, but it's minimal. I had Advance drop ship the axles from GSP, one made it fine on Friday, the other is MIA in transit- What a pain! Yo Trois is in pieces waiting for it now.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Disappointing Response From GSP.....
I received the following email from GSP (telconvs reported following):
Mr. Maher,
There is no issue with the axle. After reviewing your report there are a couple of things to note:
1. The inner shaft of this unit is very small (only 20 splines) with a thin wire circlip since the horsepower of this vehicle is low (unless modifications have been made). Therefore it would be easy to remove the axle by hand as you stated you were able to do. The same can be done on the earlier models and even some GM vehicles.
2. You noted that you replaced the seal. The seal itself will not actually keep oil from leaking out. This is the job of your transmission bushing. If oil gets past the bushing because it is going bad then the seal won't keep it back. The seal is more to keep dust and grit out of the trans.
Jason Lopez

I called, and with the online FSM open on the monitor, mentioned that there is no "bushing" behind the seal - just a thrust washer on the inside of the diff case (which wouldn't be another 'seal,' anyway; it is a spacer between the bearing and the case-I think), and the seal is on the outside of the case housing.
I reiterated that I thought the reduced size of the circlip was the problem, as the previous axles (remans) took a lot of effort with the pry bar to remove. I requested him sending some new circlips. He would check stock and call back.
He soon returned the call; GSP had no circlips available until the next container from China, due - toward the end of August (!!!). He would be happy to send some at that time.
The conversations were cordial from both ends (despite my feelings...).
SO -
I guess I will attempt to find some circlips and/or remove the ones from the old Toy axles and/or try to "stretch" the GSP one on the axle and reinstall. I think I will leave the previously-replaced seal in place and see if it leaks, before I install the still-due one from O'R; I got it in straight the first time, so no reason to risk damaging one.
I won't be able to report results until this weekend - back animal-sitting at a daughter's home.

Does my preceding procedure make sense?
Any other suggestions?
Anyone ever encountered this on the front of any vehicle?
Anyone ever heard of the GSP-mentioned "bushing?"
Am I correct on the function of the thrust washer? They come in varying thicknesses for finetuning the spacing.

As the header mentions - this is pretty darn disappointing...
Tom M.

P.S. to highlander - I will try these steps first and advise - and Thanks !
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Most dissapointing. Bushings do not hold oil, that would take a press fit. Bushings are not used in diffs either. Seal doesn't actually hold oil? Gotta love the "help" these days.

I would stretch the clip for now or use an old one. They get rather large after shoehorning them onto the shaft. Sometimes they are scary tight after this. Better than falling out though. If you can pull it back out by hand it's not tight enough.

Even though it sounds like a clip issue I would check motor mounts/engine alignment just to be safe. Usually the inner(plunge) joint will pull apart before popping out of the trans when that's a problem though(unless it's a k car era mopar).

When the 86 got chopped up, my left gsp had a very firm grip. My bushings must have been good too, no leaking. :lol:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Yeah - I wondered about that "The seal itself will not actually keep oil from leaking out." BS, too... Am I wrong?
But - I bit my tongue and thought I could catch more flies with honey than vinegar - uncharacteristic attitude pour moi - guess I'm mellowing - or approaching senility.

The motor mounts and transmission mount were Toy OE - I installed them in 2006. I actually checked them as long as I was under the car on Sunday - not for the reason you mention, but just checking/tightening everything within reach.
Dunno about engine alignment - nothing amiss has been noted (clutch engagement / weird noises / handling). Goldie has been doing just fine, before and after this issue.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Hey Tom,
I finished with the wife's front end this weekend, and encountered the opposite problem from what you just had--The circlips were not SMALL enough to enable engagement into the splines of the diff. They aren't spring steel, a little tweaking with a pair of pliers on the worst got that one in, the other side I just rotated the ring so that the opening of the clip was at the bottom (so that the clip itself was resting on the detent for it), and it pounded right in. The moral of the story is, I think, that the circlips are MADE IN CHINA and are mild steel and are capable of working themselves loose.
AND NO, a bushing will not stop oil from leaking, even if you had one.-as you said.
If you want the factory clips, let me know.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD