Vapor Lock - aka Vapour Lock

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Vapor Lock - aka Vapour Lock

Post by ARCHINSTL »

While unrelated to a Terc, this thread triggered this post: http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=4&t=5614.
I've never encountered vapor lock on either the then-new '83 Terc or the '86. The latter has had an OE and two reman carbs and now has a Weber with lines routed to a regulator on the fender. The closest I may come to it is having to depress the pedal a bit and a couple of extra turns of the starter when hot.

In fact, the last time I encountered vapor lock (prior to now) was in 1957 with my '46 Ford V8; while various cars of the era could get this periodically, Ford/Merc/Linc flathead V8s were notorious for this. During HOT summers, most people would carry a gallon jug of water to pour over the manifold when it occurred.
Flash forward to 2010...
I recently replaced the PITA fuel pump in my '88 Dodge/Mitsu 2.6 POS p'up. Everything was fine for 10-12 miles and about 6 stops and restarts on a 90-degree day. Then it died in rush hour traffic - and it would not restart. Fortunately it does not have an interlock on the ignition/clutch, so I was able to starter-move it to a home's driveway by the road.
I was mystified, as it had run great until then. I lifted the hood and all was in order. I went to the house and mentioned my predicament and said I would call for a tow truck if I couldn't restart it. This took about 5 minutes. I tried it again - and it started and ran great for the 3 miles to home.

I thought "It can't be vapor lock - I've had this truck for 22 years in boiling weather with the OE and a reman carb and it never happened before." So I replaced the fuel filter, added a couple of inches to the lines to and from the pump and wrapped them in aluminum foil (another '50s trick). Took it out for a drive and the same thing happened - but this time I had a gallon of cold water and applied it to the manifold and lines and it started right up.
WTH?
So I went to Google and discovered something I had totally not considered; The fuel blend was the cause! The gas in the truck dated back to January - I don't drive this truck much and I've been langorously fighting the fuel pump PITA installation and another issue since late February. So I siphoned the 8 remaining gallons and filled it with fresh fuel - and have not had a problem since.
Apparently the Winter mix allows for easier vaporization - which can cause vapor lock if used in hot weather - usually in carbed cars and other power equipment. No one ever encountered this cause way back when because there was only one blend - at least in the middle Midwest/other warm areas.
I thought I'd post this if anyone is getting a carbed car with ooold fuel. Be aware !

And YES, I saved the old gas for the outdoor power stuff - but added an appropriate amount of Sta-Bil to the cans.
As an aside, those orange and black siphon/pumps-with-a-handle-and-two-hoses that are sold everywhere? Figure on 250 to 275 pumps per gallon...
And before someone asks - I DID try siphoning it with an appropriate long tube, but for ? reason it did not work...funny, it did back in the old days when I stole gas from my sister's Willys for my own car...
Tom M
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain